Skip to main content

Linda Lehman, Bead-Crocheter Extraordinaire!

Linda Lehman hails from Silver Spring, Maryland and retired from a career in finance many years ago. Since that time, she has focused on her love of crafts. She has had a successful shop on Etsy for 4 years where she sells not only the finished bracelets and necklaces but also patterns for crocheters to make their own jewelry. She is also the author of Bead Crochet Jewelry (Schiffer Publishing).


Linda Lehaman, author of Bead Crochet
I am a member of her Ravelry group and was the lucky recipient of her annual drawing where I have won challenging patterns as well as jewelry and beads from her co-moderator, KnotChaCha. Linda also has a store on Ravelry. I am so inspired by her skills when it comes to designing that I wanted to get to know her better.

"Dots & Spirals": I won this pattern and it is a delight to wear!
Crochetkween: What got you interested in crochet? Did you learn crochet or bead-crochet first? Do you do other beading techniques?
Linda:  “I first learned to knit, and then crochet and later bead crochet. I’m a self taught bead crocheter.  A student asked me to learn so that I would be able to teach her.  I also do peyote, brick, Ndebele, African Helix, polygon weave, square stitch and RAW (right angle weave)."

Crochetkween: Where does your inspiration come from; fashion, the fashion runways?
Linda: “Having been a designer since 1987 I am inspired by the mathematics of it all.”

"Color Block"
Crochetkween: Is there one design that you would not part with?
Linda: “I am not a fashionista, so I do not wear my creations. I enjoy the process of creating as well as having others wear my work.”

Crochetkween: What is your educational background? Your designs must require a very mathematical mind.
Linda: “My bachelors degree is actually in the field of philosophy which has had an enormous effect on the way I think, and ergo, my designing. When I approach a pattern idea, I tend to throw out all previous assumptions, and start from scratch each and every time I work on a new design.”

"Silver Threads"
Crochetkween: Will you share some tips that have helped make your shop a hit?
Linda: “Self market, and don’t depend on Etsy to do your marketing for you.  Since there are over 400,000 shops it would be impossible for Etsy to promote them all.”

Crochetkween: What is the most fun for you on your page?
Linda: “Interacting with the people who are learning and loving the technique for the first time.”

Crochetkween: Tell me about your partnership with Knot-Cha-Cha on The Bead Crochet Exchange? Linda: “We got to “know” each other as email friends from Etsy, and the relationship grew from there.”

Crochetkween: Do you teach classes or offer online classes?
Linda: “I used to teach nationally at almost all the major conventions and bead guilds, but stopped when I opened the Etsy shop as the traveling got tiresome.  In addition, I was “gifted” a grandchild who ties up many of my weekends in a much more fun way!”

Crochetkween: Are you a member of any groups or associations?
Linda: I am a member of TNNA (The National Needlearts Association), and I enjoy attending their wholesale shows which is where I tend to find all the yarns that I like.”

Crochetkween: I don’t run into many people who do bead-crochet? I think it is an untapped niche that has so much potential, but maybe people are a bit intimidated by the small beads and thread. Do you find this to be the case in your area?
Linda: “No, I find that most beaders want to learn bead-crochet as well as many crocheters.  The beaders want to expand what they can do with beads, and I think most crocheters want to be able to make jewelry, and bead crochet definitely fits that bill.”

Crochetkween: What do you do to promote/market the skills of bead crochet?
Linda: I regularly put out my newsletter, Tips and Tricks and I am the author of Bead Crochet Jewelry; and I’ve been published in many beading magazines such as Bead and Button Magazine, Beadwork Magazine.

"Tips, Tools, and 15 Beautiful Projects"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc