Skip to main content

Celebrating Five Years of Rambling

October 10, 2012 I've only just realized that it has been five years since I started blogging. I remember so clearly because my blog started as a way to journal during a fabulous trip I took with my husband, Alan, for his work to Chile, Argentina and Uruguay in May 2007. at the time, I called my blog "Chile-Argentina Dreams" because it was truly a dream trip for me! If you'd like to read the whole story on that blog, cut & paste this:http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=2358905162839317966#editor/target=post;postID=2005703797218376963 It was right around the time of my 60th birthday so it's easy to remember. But even more memorable, the day before we left, Alan brought home a BMW 325i for my birthday gift! (I thought the trip was my gift!) Now granted, he got the car on Craig's List and it was 4 years old. But who cares...I had admired that car since the 70s when I worked with a young lady who drove on. I alwasy thought hers was cute and admired it. Sincerely, I am not one who pays any attention to cars, types, brands or styles. My main interest is the MY car runs and gives me no hassles. However, there has just always been something about the BMW that touched my fancy! In Santiago, Chile, as Alan worked, I took the subway to visit some tourist sights and to see some art. On my way back as I stepped out of the subway, I spotted a lady selling jewelry and low and behold, it was bead-crochet bracelets done with wire. I just had to buy one as an example of crochet in other parts of the world.
I've since made one like it in other colors:
In Buenos Aires,Argentina I connected with the mother of the sister-in-law of a woman I worked with. She was a lovely 80-something lady so cordial to meet me at my hotel and spend the day showing me around a fabulous craft cooperative area where my eyes feasted on the folk art of the country. I bought yarn there and have never used it. Sentimental, I guess!
In Montevideo, Uruguay, Alan's distributor assigned the task of showing me around to his assistant. I had spotted the name, "Manos de Uruaguay" and ask her to take me there so I could buy some yarn. Come to find out it was a retail store where they sold everything except yarn. They had all kinds of knitted and crocheted items using the Manos yarn. I got over it; she had been assigned to buy me a gift; so, I decided on a fabulously soft leather purse and I love it dearly to this day.
It was a fabulous trip and Alan's distributor in Santiago had us over to his house for a "churassco" (barbeque) on my birthday and they made a lovely celebration for me. I'll never forget that trip. It was one of the few trips taken by Alan on which I accompanied him. He traveled for years all over the world and I was busy usually being a nurse, a mother and/or a crocheter. I missed a lot, but I was content to be home. Finally there was time to enjoy and that's what made this trip so special.! Once home, I realized the joys of blogging and also realized that I have an indelible connection between my crochet and my life. I have traveled to other parts of the world since that trip and everywhere I go I encounter crocheters and fabulous folk and fiber art. I know that crochet is an international language that connects all of us who are passionate about our craft. So, I continue to blog and added the word "rambling" to the title, so that gives me lots of leeway to write about whatever I want and inevitably I find a connection between crochet and life! Back here at home....it was an exciting week because I won a prize in my CGOA Chapter's Annual Dan Kahan Benjamin Challenge. This year the theme was "Inspiration from Dr. Seuss" and our Chairperson, Annie, did an excellent job organizing the theme, the prizes and the encouragement. I won 2nd prize with my "Green Eggs & Hambone Necklace" and my prize was more yarn to play with!
The weekend was filled with crafti-ness! Not only the chapter meeting, but we dashed downtown to Wicker Park to attend the 10th Annual Renegade Craft Fair. We were definitely out-numbered by twenty/thirty-somethings, but then there were some other proud grayhares there also. We are cool enough to be interested in such things! I wrote about it in my Examiner article this week: http://www.examiner.com/article/renegade-craft-fair-chicago-takes-place-september-8-9. On Sunday after exploring for a new breakfast spot, we went to the Suburban Bead Encounter where beads from Hobo Glass had been calling to me since I saw them back in June iat the Bead & Button Show in Milwaukee! Mission completed and now I have something else on my "to-do" list! Joy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc