Skip to main content

My World is About to Change!

December 20, 2010: I am feeling under control, but should I? In 12 days, we will be boarding a plane with two suitcases each, plus a carry-on with all the worldly possessions that will sustain us for three months while we are wintering in Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico!! That's not to say that we won't be able to buy something critical that we've forgotten. Of course, we will. We can even most likely purchase any medications we might need, without a prescription. But we're not going to forget those. It is the yarn and patterns and stitch guid that I am worried about!

The shopping is done, the presents are under the tree; the menu is set and I have started some preparations for the meal. We have a tradition of doing hordeurves and desserts on Christmas day. I am soooo looking forward to having our children and precious granddaughter here.
Chloe turned one on November 24, 2010.
We will eat, laugh, play games, laugh and then have to say good bye for three months. I will MISS them terribly, but this is part of our dream that must be played out. I have a feeling that the three months will fly by, and then we will step back into our world that is Rolling Meadows, IL and resume where we left off!

Once the kids leave, we will move into "super-charged" mode and take down the tree and all the decorations (I put up less this year!) and make one final check of everything in the house and then zip it all in the suitcases so we're ready to go.
One of my suitcases is designated as the one to carry the yarn! I can buy yarn in Ajijic! Dear friend Sheila has quite a stash, and she is willing to sell. It's just not the same; I need a sense of feeling prepared. I have plans. I have things that need to be completed because they have been accepted by a magazine to be published. There is a deadline to meet!

As we get closer and things begin to take shape, this is seeming less like a vacation and more like a "transfer" to another part of the world to continue our work! Alan will be working half-time and I have work to do too. HOWEVER, it's another world that we will be living and working in. We will be immersed in the Mexican culture and it is a much slower pace. It will be warm, well warm-ER. Nights have been getting down to 35 degrees; that's better than 20, but not much. We don't have central heating there either-just a space hearter. No worries. It WILL get warmer with each week that passes and we are counting on the sunny days to reach 75 degrees! Everything we do will take longer and we will have no car. We will walk everywhere. Ah, enforced exercise. That's a good thing!

Stay tuned.......I will be reporting weekly as usual on how our adjustment to semi-retirement is playing out.

Good news on the home front......One of the a artists from my upcoming book on crochet as art, Carol Hummel, is coming to the area to do an installation at the Morton Arboretun in Lisle, IL. Oh, this is so very exciting. She first gained crochet fame when she covered trees in front of City Hall in Cleveland Heights, OH with CROCHET! back in 2005.
Carol Hummell working on a tree in Cleveland Heights, OH.
Crocheters in the area will have the opportunity to participate by coming to the workshops in Jan. Feb. and Mar. and learning to make "lichen." I am so sorry that I won't be here for those, but I look forward to seeing the installation when it is up in the Spring.

Our CGOA chapter has decided to get involved in any way we can as the installation date nears (April 3, 2011). We are volunteering our services and the folks at the arboretum seemed very grateful for our offer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc