Skip to main content

Dads

August 9,2010: Now that my mother is gone and I am left with just my dad, I am beginning to realize that dads are a different breed! I think that my dad is also finding out all that a mom/wife is and how much that we do is taken for granted by all of us. Moms keep track of all the social aspects of life and they know just when to send a birthday card and time it so it arrives just at the proper time! Moms know what is going on in the extended family because they don't mind talking on the phone and keeping in touch. They go shopping and run into people too and keep up with the neighbors and the friends from church. Moms plan meals and shop once a week to get everything that is needed. Moms know what to do with leftovers!
I think Mom would be holding Chloe if she were here, just because.....











It has been seven months since Mom left us and Dad is learning. He's doing a fine job of trying to make a life for himself alone. The winter was very rough and lonely and cold for him. Spring brought a new outlook with him being able to get out and walk the dog, Jack, and enjoy being out in the car more. He works in the yard and runs errands for my brother. He has kept up with his three social groups, one that meets at Atz's Ice Cream shop on Wed. afternoon and the Friday morning coffee group and his weekly dinner at the American Legion with another widower.

There are tales to tell about the coffee group...one old guy had the propensity of lingering bhind as they were leaving and lifting the tip from the table. Not only the group's table but he would also sashay around and collect from other tables. Finally, he was asked by management to not darken the door any more! They also thrown in a quarter to a "pot" and someone wins it each week. Another guy is currently trying to rig the pot somehow so he can win it because it is a REALLY LARGE SUM of about two dollars!

Jack, the dog, was a blessing for my mother and has proved to be a constant companion to my dad as well. Jack wakes my dad up most nights at 3 AM and jumps on his bed. It's annoying, yes, but dad says Jack is "well worth the trouble."

I feel very fortunate to have my brother and sister-in-law's watchful eye on dad as they live as neighbors in the next lot. They include him in many activities and have him for dinner and go out to dinner with him weekly. They look for jobs to give him to help him keep busy. At 90 years old, sometimes the energy level is just not there and dad has periods where he isolates himself a bit, but he bounces back and is most happy when he does have something to do, even if it is make-work or fake errands!

Dad is learning to talk to me whereas before, he was always more than happy to let mom do all the talking. Yes, he is a bit shy, but I think it was just a guy thing. He kept one ear on the phone and the other on the tv while we talked on the phone and would often say, "Oh, mom knows about this or that." I haven't really changed the way I talk; it is the same news and the same updates. It is different though, talking to dad. Just something we both have to get used to!

Comments

missyboo said…
My sympathies and hugs to you and your Dad on the loss of your Mom/Wife! What you and the rest of the family are doing with Dad is just the perfect thing to help him out too! And you're right, Dads are a different breed.
Sandie said…
My mom is still with us at 90, but my dad passed on a couple years ago. They are definitely different. Glad your dad is starting to figure things out and is able to stay somewhat active. Feeling useful is so important.

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc